Interactive Psalms

Psalm 143, ESV + Laura

Hear my prayer, O LORD;
give ear to my pleas for mercy! I know that you always hear me, Lord, but sometimes it's hard to remember.
In your faithfulness answer me, in your righteousness!
Enter not into judgment with your servant,
for no one living is righteous before you. I know that I would not be able to stand before Your judgment were it not for the blood of Your Son. Even then I am sometimes ashamed to stand before You.

For the enemy has pursued my soul;
he has crushed my life to the ground;
he has made me sit in darkness like those long dead.
Therefore my spirit faints within me;
my heart within me is appalled. Appalled at my own deeds, and the way I allow the enemy to torment me with dark thoughts.

I remember the days of old;
I meditate on all that you have done;
I ponder the work of your hands. I remember all the times before that You have fulfilled Your promises, and wonder why I ever doubt?
I stretch out my hands to you; desperately
my soul thirsts for you like a parched land. And I know this is my own fault for staying so distant for so long.
Selah

Answer me quickly, O LORD!
My spirit fails! and I wish it to be better as quickly as possible - this uncertainty is misery!
Hide not your face from me,
lest I be like those who go down to the pit.
Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love,
for in you I trust. I do trust. I believe - but help my unbelief because at times it overwhelms me.
Make me know the way I should go,
for to you I lift up my soul. because I cannot steer myself right, at all. I need You.

Deliver me from my enemies, O LORD! especially when that enemy is myself
I have fled to you for refuge!
Teach me to do your will,
for you are my God!
Let your good Spirit lead me
on level ground! There are times I think I would gladly give up free will to bend only to Your whim, Lord, and follow You perfectly.

For your name’s sake, O LORD, preserve my life! I do not know what glory I might bring to You, by Your grace, but that keeps this from being a selfish prayer.
In your righteousness bring my soul out of trouble! please, and thank You.
And in your steadfast love you will cut off my enemies,
and you will destroy all the adversaries of my soul,
for I am your servant. And I am grateful for Your promises of protection.



Psalm 32, ESV + Laura

Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven,
whose sin is covered. I so often forget the power of forgiveness, until I find myself once again in need and once again the grateful recipient of that grace.
Blessed is the man against whom the LORD counts no iniquity,
and in whose spirit there is no deceit.

For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away
through my groaning all day long.
For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. I think David speaks my own heart here.
Selah

I acknowledged my sin to you,
and I did not cover my iniquity;
I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,"
and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. and the power of it overwhelms me, Lord.
Selah

Therefore let everyone who is godly
offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found;
surely in the rush of great waters,
they shall not reach him.
You are a hiding place for me; and I am loathe to stop hiding. Can I just stay and rest in You forever?
you preserve me from trouble;
you surround me with shouts of deliverance.
Selah

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
Be not like a horse or a mule, without understanding,
which must be curbed with bit and bridle,
or it will not stay near you. and yet, that is exactly what I am. A mule. I go off and run my own life, and look where it lands me. Guide me, Lord, and do not let me stray!

Many are the sorrows of the wicked,
but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the LORD.
Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, O righteous,
and shout for joy, all you upright in heart! and be glad of the Lord's mercy that allows a sinner such as myself to be counted righteous, and to be loved in spite of my vast unworthiness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan