Day 3: My First Love

I was home, eating dinner, and done with my homework by 8 pm tonight! Delight! This means I can actually sit down, relax, and take some time to blog before studying, and I might actually get to sleep at a decent hour. I've got my steaming mug of creamy hot cocoa and a package of ho-hos, I'm good to go!



I admit that today's blogging challenge left me quite perplexed. My first love? What on earth will I write about? There are so many answers! This is largely due to the limitations of the English language (which I mentioned in point #3 a few days ago), which allows us to use "love" for all manner of things and dilute its meaning. Yes, there are more options than exist for "sorry," but culture dictates that rather than saying, "I really enjoy, delight in, like, find charming," etc, we say, "I love it!"

So, I started thinking. What are my options here? Well, the Sunday School answer is always Jesus. I don't mean that in jest - He is my first and truest, eternal love. I don't want to go with the expected answer, though. I thought about my first movie star crush, like Rebekah did. I loooooved Harrison Ford as Han Solo, Indiana Jones, and absolutely anything else my parents would let me see him in. (I didn't have it quite as bad as Elisabeth, who would kiss the tv screen when Darth Vader came on.) That's so long ago, though - shouldn't a first love be enduring?

I moved next to boys. Oh dear. Do I pick the first kiss at 4 years old? The junior high romance (my longest to date...)? The high school crush? The first one I said "I love you" too? The last one, the only I (at the time) could truly see myself marrying and happily spending forever with? None of those fit. 4 year olds wondering what a kiss is isn't love. Junior high is entirely hormonal. High school crush would be too embarrassing to write about, even though everyone knows the story. The first boy I doubt I truly loved. The last one is not a memory I ever want to bring up.

Nothing seemed to work! So I started thinking, what has been with me since I was small and do I still love today? I thought about music, but having three music tests in the next two days makes me kind of not want to write any more about music.

Then I looked down. At my steaming mug of creamy cocoa, and my half-eaten ho-ho. Now I know.



Sugar.

Sweets are my first love. There's a video of Larissa's birthday one year when I was maybe four. As she's opening presents, you hear in the background my mother's voice saying quite sternly, "That's enough candy, Laura." I hear this line repeated any time I am over at Larissa's house, or camping, or my own house, or a party, or anywhere there is sugar. I may never get to live it down. But why would I want to?

It's so true!


I love food in general. I almost wrote about that, but it's probably unhealthy. Sweets, though...mmmmmm. I can't get enough. I even just love looking at them! Last year, after my particularly nasty break-up, I bought cupcakes. Not just any cupcakes, but ginormous, delicious, gourmet, expensive, SPARKLY cupcakes. They had edible glitter!! They were AMAZING. I almost couldn't eat them for admiring them.

Krispy Kremes. Anything with sprinkles. Cupcakes. Ice cream. Cookies. Ho-hos. Frosting. Cake. Pudding. Pie. Cobbler. Berries with heavy cream. Hot chocolate. Mentos. Jelly beans. Pure sugar. Marshmallows. Chocolate bars. Whipped cream. Jello. Nutella. Lollipops. Petits fours. Candy bars. Anything.

I love it.






(also, because I feel compelled to say this, the candy picture and patisserie picture were stolen from somewhere on google. The cupcake is one of the aforementioned SPARKLY cupcakes!!)

Comments

  1. Ah, sugar...one of the few things that will never break our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a love that we have always had and will continue to have in common!!!
    AND you will forever keep hearing that line from my party :)
    I love you twin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so good! I am a sugar addict too! Bring on the Krispy Kremes, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS-Love the picture of the cupcake!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

My First Menu Plan