little kids make me :)

In my quest for a blog topic tonight, one thing kept coming up over and over - children.

On Sunday, I was reminded of just how much I love my little pre-k's. We've been learning about Jesus's miracles, and our lesson was on raising Lazarus from the dead. I only had two little boys, and they took turns being Jesus and Lazarus as we acted out the story. They knew that story cold by the time they left! I enjoyed my morning of narrating adventures on the train tracks, coaxing a boy out of the corner where he was pining for his mommy, and being used as a receptacle for imaginary meals from the new toy kitchen and a driving surface for all sorts of wheeled vehicles. I was crawled on, clung to, tackled, hugged, and cuddled. Above all, I got to see their little faces get excited about learning the truth of Jesus.

On Saturday, I went the Arizona Kodály Teacher's Society workshop. The presenter was a delightfully energetic, 80 year old nun. I originally resented having to miss work to go to this uninteresting conference, but my opinion was swiftly altered. It was fascinating! I scribbled ideas frantically in my little notebook, brainstorming all the new ideas I had to use with my students. I already have a craft night planned to make a bunch of the nifty little visuals that I want. I left so inspired to be a teacher! I've never particularly doubted my chosen career path, but that day it was affirmed because I was finally very, very excited about it. I love children, and I love working with them, and now I know just a little bit more about how to help them love learning.

I've started doing my internship observations at a local elementary school. I've never before considered teaching elementary music - my heart has always been set on a high school or above level choir. Choir is my passion, my niche. This semester, though, my eyes are being opened to the idea of teaching elementary music. It kind of scares me, but I think I never considered it just because I know nothing about it. I remember very little of my own elementary music class, and my general music class last semester pretty much scared me away for good. Now I'm actually learning about it, and starting to like it. Between my elementary music methods class and the Kodály workshop, I'm beginning to ponder a new direction...

I had a good day at work today, too. I enjoy getting to work with my students one on one, instead of a classroom setting. I get to know them more, and can individualize my approach to helping them learn. They make me laugh, they stretch my patience, and occasionally they offer a little bit of wisdom that can only come from the innocent minds of children. I am so blessed in my job! (not to mention having a decent, steady job in my field before even graduating! Thank you, Lord!)

Tonight I was talking about kids to some of my co-workers, and mentioned how most of my friends tell me I'll be having 8 kids (10, 12, whatever...), and they looked at me aghast when I mentioned I wouldn't mind having 6 kids. I love children - if that hasn't been made clear - and can hardly wait to have my own, and maybe adopt more later. I'm gonna have to find me a very patient man (with a good job). I am so excited for that future!

The other night, I stumbled across a story on NPR about a 22-year-old American girl living in Uganda who has become the foster mother to 13 Ugandan girls.
The story is inspiring. I'm sure I'm opposite most people in that I find the fact that she is a mom to 13 much less shocking than the fact that she has started a non-profit organization that has such an immediate impact on the lives of children - and she's 22! She's a year younger than me. Reading about her, I feel like I should have more to show for my life, but God uses different people different ways. I can't help but think that I would love to get a taste of her life. (as a side note, someone directed me to her blog after I posted this - I'm not going to get any sleep now!) I do not think that God has necessarily designed me for life in Africa - I am well aware of my own weaknesses. But her little family's story tugs at my heartstrings in ways I can't describe. I would love to have the impact in children's lives that she does. I know I have my own sphere of influence, between Sunday School and nannying and teaching, but I long to speak into the lives of the children I know, to show them Jesus's love, to inspire a passion for learning and for music.

Children are such a gift. They are carefree and innocent and refreshing. They are inexhaustible and joyful. They are eager to learn and unendingly creative. They brighten my day, make me think, and make me feel loved. My studio wall is covered in cute little drawings and notes from my students, and it reminds me to smile every day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan