time well spent

I slept in this morning, thanks to the Feminist Theory and Music conference that overtook the SoM this week, wreaking havoc with classroom usage and cancelling several classes. After a conducting class filled with flirting - yes, I said it! - and some observations of rambunctious 3rd graders and eensy weensy adorable 1st graders, I got to meet up with Rebekah to spend an afternoon not looking at our cellphones or other electronics, but merely enjoying one another's company.

We went to As You Wish to indulge our introverted, artistic selves. I haven't been in months, and being covered in glaze again (literally, to my own misfortune) was quite therapeutic. It's such a lovely way to spend time with someone without having to really talk all that much. You sit side by side, absorbed in your painting, meticulously dabbing glaze on your piece with a paintbrush that is clearly missing the better days before several dozen children jabbed it into clay crevices and mooshed it around swirling their colors. The silence is not cold, but marked by mutual contemplation and the ease of an understanding friendship. We sat next to a gentleman who I can only imagine must be quite charming, as we watched him paint a platter featuring himself down on one knee, his fiancee holding her face in shock and delight, and the words, "Kate, will you marry me?" across the top. We hope he is successful, after sitting alone in the pottery shop to paint her such a reminder of his not-too-distant proposal. Best of luck, sir.
the pre-fired version - I'll be sure to show both of our pieces when they are completed!

After we finished, we enjoyed some dinner (at Yum Yum China and Paradise Bakery), nibbling on delicious snickerdoodles and brightly sprinkled sugar cookies before wandering around Tempe Marketplace in search of a vest. No luck. So, we went back to the SoM and found our favorite window bench, and sat together talking of boys and ourselves and just enjoying one another's company. 'Twas a good day.

I am much looking forward to tomorrow night, as well. I love to cook for people, so a bunch of friends are coming over for a family-style dinner. I'll make sure to blog about it later. :) If you have no plans and want to come and know me well enough to get ahold of me by tomorrow morning, feel invited!

Comments

  1. "The best kind of friend is the kind you can sit on a porch swing with, never say a word, then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation that you ever had." <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

My First Menu Plan

Day 3: My First Love