eating magic and rainbows

Today was Bex's 19th birthday, so I made her a cake.

A rainbow cake.

In a jar!


I had SO MUCH FUN with this! I saw the recipe here, and proceeded to spend another hour or so browsing through some of the deliciousness contained in this blog. I have such a love for creating in the kitchen, and I don't usually get the time to enjoy that during the school year. I've decided it may be more important than sleep, so I stayed up making the cakes last night, and tonight cooked my own delicious spin-off of a king ranch chicken casserole. Spicy! I have another, less colorful but equally sugary, recipe to try this weekend, too. :)

Anyways, these cakes captivated me. I lovelovelove bright colors, which is why I love flowers and dresses and markers and coloring books and sparkles and lisa frank and my little ponies and little kids. I was already delighted before the cakes baked, when they looked like this. I had fun playing with the colors and the batter, making whirlpools and stories in my head about the white changing to a bright, vivid hue.
Actually eating them was so exciting! You stick your fork through a thick layer of frosting with rainbow star sprinkles and into a moist confection of color. When you pull it out to take a bite, you can't help but smile at the swirly neon palette about to enter your mouth. It's like eating magic! It made me giddy, and I enjoyed sharing it with my dear friends.

We didn't finish them, so when I got home I scraped out the jars, grabbed the leftover frosting, and crumbled up the fluorescent pink tops I'd had to cut off so I could frost the cakes last night, mixed it all together, and put it back in one of the jars. Now I have a rainbow crumble cake in a jar to brighten up my Friday! I'm already excited to eat it. So vibrant!

I hope that the number of exclamation points throughout this post have helped to convey the sheer delight I took in these cakes - not just in their colors, but in the way they brightened not only my day but my friends'. It was so worth staying up past my bedtime for.

Comments

  1. The title of this post could not possibly be more perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cute!!! i want to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan