kites in the parking lot

HOMEWORK! Curse it all, anyways. Too many writing assignments for the night, but having done three of them, none of which are due tomorrow, I will count myself reasonably 'ahead' and call it a night and turn instead to writing for pleasure.

I have mentioned before that I always keep a kite in my trunk, should the wind perchance blow. After choir, I was retiring to my normal seat in the spacious second floor window when I noticed how blustery a day it was. Excitedly, I mentioned the kite to Rebekah, and we scampered down to the parking lot and took my lovely little Macaw out of Amadeus' trunk. In short order, we had him soaring through the sky, rippling with the gusts or wind under his brightly colored wings. The parking lot is a decidedly convenient place to fly a kite, as there are no kite-eating trees around to snatch my bird out of the air. I realized today, too, how much I talk to inanimate objects, as I cajoled my bird to stay in the sky, to go this direction or that, or not to suddenly plummet to the ground just as one of the very few moving vehicles went past. Though he did nose-dive several times, through luck and consummate skill (my humility abounds!) he only ever hit my car.

As we were standing around, an older gentleman with a nice professional camera clambered out of his truck and began snapping artistic photos of my kite and me. Come to find out, the university has a photographer and he is it! He jotted down our names and majors, asking a couple questions as to our frivolity, and theoretically a little puff piece (not a puff pastry) will appear in some ASU publication. Found it!

After about half an hour of wind-tossed freedom and felicity, it was time to go to work. Upon exiting in the dark of night, a lovely petrichor filled the air. (That link is well worth the read if you like words, by the by. And even if you don't.) Though I longed to spend the evening on the porch in a sweater with a book and some candlelight and a steaming mug of tea, I settled for quesadillas and my computer chair, typing and tapping away at homework. I did have some thistle tea my mother brought me from Scotland, and it brightened the evening, as did a couple comments from friends on chat, delightful distractions from the drudgery of duty.

And so, after four hours of typing, I bid you all Gute Nacht!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan