Imitation in the Kitchen - Cheddar Bay Biscuits

A couple weeks ago, I saw a recipe for "Cheddar Bay Biscuits," a knock-off of something served at Red Lobster, where I have never eaten nor have any desire to eat, as I don't like seafood.  Wait, I take that back, I ate at one in New York, for reasons unknown.  I ate a caesar salad, my traditional seafood avoidance dish.

Anyways.

All of a sudden, I heard of these biscuits often, and always with glowing praise for their deliciousness.  Having spent the last week in the tropical paradise of the Bahamas, (I promise, that blog post is coming soon!) I've heard a lot about seafood and different recipes and approaches, but this is the only one that appealed to me, as it's NOT fish.  Finally being home and looking forward to not eating out, I decided I needed to try this recipe.  I enjoyed myself so much that I have set a summer goal: make at least one thing from an actual recipe every week.

So, I give you a recipe based on a food I never tried first - Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuits.


Ingredients:
 2 1/2 C Bisquick
3/4 C cold milk
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) cold butter
1/4 tsp garlic powder*
1 C cheddar cheese

- for the topping -
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 tsp parsley flakes**
1/2 tsp garlic salt
pinch of salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°.
 
Mix Bisquick and cold butter with a pastry cutter, whisk, or large fork.  You don't want to mix them too much, but you want about pea-sized chunks of butter in the baking mix.

Add cheese, milk, and garlic, but don't over mix it.

Drop onto an un-greased baking sheet.  I used an ice cream scooper and it worked really nicely, but they were a lot larger than I thought they'd be.

Bake 15-17 minutes, or until starting to turn a little golden brown.

Mix the second half of the ingredients and brush onto the finished biscuits.

Devour.




* I used some roasted garlic in addition to the garlic powder.  I also added a dash of red pepper flakes for a tiny bit of kick.  DELICIOUS.  Mom would hate it, but Dad and I loved the little bite.

** I didn't have any parsley flakes, so I used oregano and herbs de provence, and it was good.  Probably better, since I think parsley is a fairly pointless herb.

*** I should start cooking things during the daytime so that my pictures can look nicer.

Comments

  1. oh my gosh those look so delicious! i love the cheddar bay biscuits from red lobster.. i might have to steal this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan