Rosemary Hummus

I'm sitting here snacking on this week's recipe as I blog.  I was at the grocery store earlier, realizing that the week was almost half over, and while I had cooked several times, I hadn't made anything from a new recipe, (which is my challenge to myself over the summer).  Mom wanted some hummus, but the store only had roasted red pepper (my favorite!), and since she doesn't like peppers, she hadn't bought any.  So, I decided to make her some.

Hummus is delicious, high in protein, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.  It's great with pita or veggies and makes a good on-the-go meal or a healthy snack.  I chose rosemary to flavor it because a) it's my favorite and b) I have a large rosemary bush in the backyard, so it's convenient.  Also, you'll notice that there's no tahini* in my hummus, for two reasons: I don't like sesame, and we didn't have any anyways.

Ingredients
2 cans garbanzo beans, drained
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c lemon juice
2 cloves garlic**
1 tsp cumin**
salt to taste
several sprigs of rosemary
up to 1/2 c water (or garbanzo juice that you drained out of the cans)

Directions
1) Blend everything together in a food processor until smooth.
2) Add the water a little at a time until you get your desired consistency.
3) Devour.

Yes, it's really that easy.  I wish mine was just a little smoother, but that will probably vary by food processor.  The flavor is very nice.  Just now, I added some feta, green olives, and a few red pepper flakes to my dish, just to kick it up a bit.

I don't know why you put olive oil in the center, you just do!




 * If you don't share my dislike, add about 1/4 c of sesame seeds or tahini

** I added a little more of each of these because I thought it needed more flavor.  I also added a dash of McCormick's roasted garlic and bell pepper seasoning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan