Love Thy Neighbor

Most people don't really know their neighbors, at least not in a city like Phoenix.  It's too hot to play in the streets together, too much traffic, too many questionable neighborhoods.  We keep to ourselves in our air conditioning and our own backyard pools.

I, fortunately, am an exception to this rule.  I know most of my neighbors, and their families have known my family for a generation or two.  Several go to the same church, we have neighborhood parties on big holidays, and you always know someone with a spare key when you lock yourself out.  I've tutored, taught, or babysat most of the kids on this block, and there's always someone to feed your pets when you're out of town, or someone willing to lend you an egg or some sugar. 

However, sometimes the best perks are the little things.  The doorbell rang tonight as I was sitting around talking with my dad, and I opened the door to see my neighbor and her daughter standing there holding out a plate with two enormous hamburgers.  "Hot off the grill!" she said.  It was such a sweet gesture - and they were DELICIOUS.  Dad and I scarfed them down with some homegrown tomatoes on top, and it was the perfect meal.  I am so touched by their thinking of us!

I have another neighbor who frequently stops by with pecan rolls or chicken buns or pot roast or muffins or pie or something else incredible she's baked too much of for just their family.  A few neighbors make tamales, a most welcome Christmas treat.  Several of us exchange cookies over the holidays, too.  It's so wonderful to actually know these people and to share together, and I am so grateful that I live in a neighborhood that's not full of strangers.



Also, today just must be free food day, because at work one of my adorable students and her parents brought me a giant chocolate cupcake for no reason at all. 

If you know me, you know that one of my favorite gifts of all is anything edible.  No, it may not last long, but it will always make me happy.  The way to my heart is definitely through my stomach.  :)

Comments

  1. seriously, knowing your neighbors can be such a blessing! especially in the food department!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your neighborhood is so awesome :) I want to live in a place like that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan