The Lion King - Las Vegas



If you've never seen Sports Night, this is Dana, right after she sees the Lion King for the first time (after going only very begrudgingly). That's about my reaction. (It is noteworthy that Isaac Jaffe, the producer she's talking to, is the original Rafiki in the Disney movie.)

Phindile Mkhize was Rafiki, and definitely the highlight of the experience for me. I want to know how to sing like that without dying. (audio on that video is not particularly great, but oh well.) The costumes were incredible, too. Mom got us aisle seats, so when the Circle of Life started, I was brushed by an enormous elephant, and then wildebeests and some long, curly-horned singing rams. At the beginning of the 2nd act, the singers behind my shoulder scared me to death, as I didn't see them. It was GREAT!

I've always loved the music of the Lion King, and hearing it live and with even more of the African traditions built in was breathtaking. There were two drummers up on the walls, too, sitting surrounded by their drums, and it was cool to get to see them go (and to recognize the drums after my music in world cultures class). I could go on, and on, and on...but just know that I will continue to talk about it in superlatives. Oh goodness.

Vegas was...shiny. Lots of lights, lots of colorful drinks, and lots of drunk people. 24 hours is plenty to spend in Sin City and get my fill. The number of cheesy wedding chapels is appalling. But I did have a lot of fun with my mother. We listened to the Secret Garden on the drive there and back, and she fell in love with it, too. In Vegas, we spent a lot of time in front of the Bellagio, watching the fountains. We ate there, too, which was scrumptious - especially at 2 am. We slept in nice and late the next day before driving home. I enjoyed the lights and colors and amazingly splendorous, expensive hotel lobbies. I enjoyed pretending I was part of Ocean's 11. I enjoyed our quiet, clean hotel that was just off the strip. I LOVED Lion King. I may never have the desire to go back to Vegas (mom hates it for a reason!), but I'm glad I got the experience and the show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan