A July 4th Fabulation!

I love the fourth of July! I love red white and blue, I love America, I love fireworks, and I love time with friends. It always manages to be a memorable day. Last year was my first back in the United States, and I spent it with my parents and Amy on Coronado Island, enjoying life immensely and watching fireworks over the bay. The year before, I celebrated Army Style in Baumholder and Rammstein, lots of grilling and volleyball and fireworks. The year before that, we didn't really get to notice the 4th, as we were embarking on an epic bike trip, all along the Rhein and Mosel rivers in Germany.

Last night, we went over to Shantel's house for a massive amount of food, including very patriotic desserts. Julia had never had a hot dog, so we introduced her to that most American mixture of miscellaneous meats. We played games (our favorite seems to be 'human knot') and went swimming, waiting for the sun to go down and the fireworks to start.











While in the pool, being the musical people we are, we sang a capella versions of every patriotic song we could think of, all with a lovely, rich choral harmony. What fun!

We climbed up on top of Shantel's horse trailer to watch the fireworks, and though we never saw a real show, we saw scattered colorful explosions all around us for several hours. A storm was rolling in, so it was windy and smelled of desert rain, but it never really hit us. Her little siblings were setting off firecrackers on the ground, and it was a very festive atmosphere. Austin had hauled a guitar up on top of the trailer and began playing worship songs, and we sat around for hours singing praise to our Heavenly Father.

There is nothing quite like singing worship with friends, especially in stormy weather at night. Something about those moments grabs my heart and holds it tight, and I could stay in the moment forever and be perfectly content. We sang hymns, and certainly a lot of Hillsong. We introduced eachother to a few new songs, and a few very old ones. We sang, and we sat, and we watched, and it was glorious.

Comments

  1. how fun!!! those desserts look delish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan