Hilarity in Five Acts

Good morrow, dear reader!

By my troth, yesternight were but little fun if I could say how much. I shall refrain from silence, though, as a lack of words maketh a poor blog. At the insistence of one Sir Real the Dreamy, those most ubiquitous knights I name my friends gathered for a reading of the Bard's Much Ado About Nothing. The reading was replete with extravagant accents, most notably a French messenger and various Russian personages. Upon the opening of each act, we drew names to determine our characters, and I was o'erjoyed to be both Benedick and Beatrice at some time or another.

Whilst round the room we sat, noses buried in our books, bowls of ice cream melting in our midst, we enjoyed ourselves immensely. In faith, Much Ado is by far my favorite of Shakespeare's comedic plays, and to hear it thus read caused my heart much gladness. Marry, it is the source of several of my most loved quotations. I do but wish I could adequately emulate the grandiose style of writing, but Shakespeare "is turned orthography; his words are a very fantastical banquet, just so many strange dishes." Comparisons betwixt he and I are odious, as I am duly humbled in my pitiful attempts at mimicry.

a Matt's-eye view of half the room at the start of the evening

Peradventure, we had one copy of the script written in olde English, wherein the letter u is transcribed as v, v often as u, and s consistently as f. When the part is read not only with ye olde spelling intact, but also in a Russian accent, hilarity ensues. Hero's maid is hence named Vrfula, Beatrice departs vnkift from Benedick's prefence, and a gentleman may be wife. (It taketh indeed far longer to read such a play when the entire ensemble must pause after each line for a bout of raucous laughter and the subsequent catching of their breaths.)

I joy in the fact that I have friends who revel in such pursuits. 'Twas indeed beyond our expectations of the evening. Fie on the mundane activities such as those alcohol-laden parties that occupy the youth of our generation - we entertain ourselves handsomely with the wit and repartee crafted by the Bard so long ago.

As a further note: while awaiting his entrance, Drew notated notes of his own noting, and we thus sang an original version of the song sigh no more, ladies/hey nonny nonny - an it were an excellent song.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan