Reflections on Silvester

It's a little weird to see January 1, 2012 above the posting, no? 2012 already???

I'll admit, last New Year's seems very long ago. I was still in the apartment with Ashley, I hadn't started back at ASU yet, and I don't even really remember what I did. This year, I spent my second New Year's Eve at the Festaburg setting off fireworks. Germans know how to do it, man. It's especially cool as we're all in these little hilltop towns, so you can look over and see the other villages setting off theirs. They don't have nearly as many restrictions here on what you can and cannot set off, and some of them are big. We had sparklers for the kids earlier in the evening, but we had a bunch of big-kid rockets to set off at midnight. The Americans down the street had an arsenal that sent clouds of smoke billowing up the street to envelope us in the sulfurous scent. The German family just above us on the hill had some very large fireworks, one of which accidentally got set off sideways, shooting past us to explode a few feet above the ground in a fortunately unoccupied patch of grass. Yikes.

Lots of fireworks from all around. The church bells from the next town were going off, people were screaming and shouting, lots of bangs and booms and pops and sizzles from all the different rockets and fountains and roman candles and firecrackers. It was a very noisy celebration to bring in the new year, and SO much fun.


This year has been Last year was a good one. I have made some of the best friends I could ever ask for, and we have laughed and lived and loved and cried and enjoyed and played and learned and grown and had so much fun. They are there for me when I need them, willing to pray or to listen or to help out. I can't imagine life without them anymore, and I MISS them something fierce, being away for the holidays. They make school worth going to. :)

Here's to 2012! This year, I will (hopefully) graduate from college, at last. December 2012, I'm coming for you! I will also turn 24 - eek! Who knows what else it will hold? Maybe I'll get a house. Maybe I'll finally find a new church to plug into. Maybe I'll find a teaching job. Maybe I'll have someone to kiss next New Year's at the stroke of midnight. For now, I can hope and dream and pray. Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan