Day 8: A Place I've Traveled To

I'll give you one guess where this blog post is about.

If you didn't guess it, you don't know me very well.

When I was 18, I moved to Germany. You can read about half the story here. Unfortunately, the first 6 months of the blog somehow got erased, which is really, terribly sad. If you don't feel like digging through all that, I have a nifty little photo book that condenses everything that I'd love to share with you!

I miss Germany, a LOT. (Every time I say a lot - even though I say it correctly, I can't help but think of the Alot. Enjoy.) I miss speaking in German. I miss small village life. I miss going to the bakery every day. I miss driving my Smart car. I miss cobblestone streets and walking everywhere. I miss the gorgeous weather. I miss the quiet. I miss the history. I miss the Festaburg. I miss the people.

Oh my. Unexpected side effect to this blog - I am now desperately homesick for Germany. What I wouldn't give to go back!

I miss my my kids, and my baby. I started looking for pictures to upload here and found some videos from Flori's 2nd birthday, and I started sobbing. There's a song, "I Won't Mind," that describes my feelings for that little boy perfectly.

There's an indescribable quality to life over there that I just can't find in America. There's a stillness, a restfulness, a peace about it. There's a depth to the country, an aged feeling, steeped in history.

Understand that I cannot begin to express my longing to be back in Germany, nor can the few pictures I'm including show more than the barest glimpse. It is the most beautiful place I know of, and the one earthly place that calls me more strongly than any other. I ache to go back.


My village - Lutten


Home sweet Home


One of my favorite views - out my bathroom window



The lake in Vechta at sunset


the view from a Volksmarch path on a summer day


Heidelberg


the world's most beautiful library - Berlin


The Schnoor - Bremen

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan