Some Enchanted Evening

I love fairy tales, and last night almost was one. I got to dress up pretty, be with my girlfriends, enjoy dinner and a show, and then go out dancing until the clock struck midnight. Well, 11 pm, but still.

Bex and Chantel and I decided that, outnumbered as we are by boys in our particular group of friends, we needed a girls' night out. We put on our dresses and heels and wore flowers in our hair and drove out to the Broadway Palm dinner theatre in Mesa to see Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella. My voice teacher was in it, as were Ryan, a girl from Chantel's studio, and two guys I'd met at the sing-along mentioned in my previous blog. :) We enjoyed our dinner and getting to get caught up on each others' lives, talking and laughing and having good girly fun.


The show was beautiful. The set was a rolling, folding, pivoting masterpiece of bright colors and storybook details. And the costumes - they were magnificent! Bright colors, tons of detail, some of them just oozing character, they were wonderful! Between the size of the dresses and the wigs, they couldn't have been fun even indoors in this Phoenix summer. They looked so excellent, though. The show itself was lovely, but the costumes were definitely my favorite part.

After the show we went out to to talk to all the people in the cast that we knew. As we didn't have any plans for after, Ryan and I decided to go swing dancing over at Kat's Korner. This is particularly exciting because, if you read the last blog I posted, my very brief experience of dancing the other night made me crave a night out at Kat's.

Oh. My. Stars.

I haven't stopped smiling about it since. I had such a fun time! As I mentioned before, I'm not much of a dancer. I'd like to be. I wish I could be. I'm just not that graceful or coordinated. But dancing with someone who knows what they're doing and is skilled at it - and patient with me - makes such a huge difference. Every time I have actually gone dancing, it's been with mostly other beginners and a smattering of talented but creepy old men. It's still fun, but enough is enough.

This was totally different. It was exhilarating. Apparently, I'm a decent follow, but I credit it more to him being a fantastic lead. It's all kind of a wonderful haze of spinning and sliding and twirling and being whirled around the dance floor. I learned the very basic steps of the Charleston, and got to attempt a polka, which was fast and exciting. I know I've said this before, but it's such a rush! I'm not sure why it excites me so much, but I couldn't stop smiling, and I can't stop talking about it. Apparently, I've been missing out on something that should have been a bigger part of my life long ago. The music was good, and I was breathless from it all. I had to go get a shake afterwards to cool off and sustain me for the long drive home.

I can't wait to do it again! Anyone up for some swing dancing??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan