Summer Adventure #1

I have smooshed bug all over my finger. Excuse me while I go wash that off...

I have been productive today! Mis padres are in Scotland and my sister was off running a concert, so after I got home from work (a couple hours early...boo for cancellations!) I cleaned. Well, first I went grocery shopping. Then, as I was putting away the groceries, I noticed how grody the refrigerator was getting, and after discovering several unidentifiable things lurking in tupperware, I decided it was time to tame this beast. I took out shelves and scrubbed them, I pulled things out that I don't want to know why they were in there in the first place, I organized and consolidated and threw out and then organized some more when I put my groceries away. Ahhhh. :)

After that, I cleaned my whole room - including emptying and organizing every drawer, going through my closet, going through my desk, moving the catbox out AT LAST, vacuuming, dusting, scrubbing, sorting, throwing out crap, all kinds of fun. I get to have a guest in June and cannot waiiiiit and so now my room is safe for company.

Yesterday was much more exciting. To properly celebrate the beginning of summer holidays, some friends and I took a day trip out to Canyon Lake. Oh, but it was delightful! There ended up being only 5 of us, but it was a perfect group. We even got in for free! (Shhhh....) We unloaded all our stuff onto a picnic table and ran out to enjoy the water which was - -


FREEZING!! We didn't stay in very long. Toby didn't get in at all. Austin will argue that neither did I, as I had my floaty ring, but I was in there. I just happen to have a fear of water. Well, not all water, but water that I can't see the bottom of or that might have living things in it. So we ended up spending most of our time on the bank in the sunshine, talking and tanning and playing silly games.

We had planned to grill ourselves some supper, but the one I was counting on to do the grilling didn't show up. In an unexpected reversal of stereotypical gender roles, I found myself as the grillmeister. Hesitant though I was, I triumphed! We had delicious hamburgers (everyone else said, so it's not just me!). I was excited, and happy that I didn't miserably ruin everyone's food. (We had hotdogs, just in case...it's hard to screw those up.)

I love the drive out to Canyon Lake (which is in Tortilla Flat, AZ. What a name). It's a gorgeously scenic view, and I was kind of bummed to be driving, since I couldn't just stare around me. On the drive out of the canyon, I made Austin take pictures so I could admire them later, even though it's not the same. I pulled over to stop at the 'vista' so we could get one last look, and Bex pulled her car over, too. We admired the silence for a moment and then took lots of pictures of the lake - and of ourselves. As we walked back to the car, Bex started singing How Great Thou Art, and we enjoyed some lovely a capella hymn singing.




Continuing on, I once again pulled suddenly off to the side of the road - the sunset was just so lovely! There's no way that the camera can capture it. Bex pulled over, too, and all five of us ran out onto the promontory and just stood there. It was completely silent; no one had anything to say worth shattering the stillness. It was the best part of the day. We stood there, staring out at the glory of God's creation, watching the sun sink over the mountains and listening to the quiet of the evening. The breeze was cool, the clouds were on fire, and the world was hushed, a silent cry of joy in the beauty of the Creator.



Moments like that are rare, which makes them all the more wonderful when they come, and there's something so special about sharing them in silence with good friends.

Comments

  1. Those pictures make my heart soar! You are lucky to live in such a beautiful place. My boyfriend went to Arizona a while back and came back with stories of the amazing landscape. I hope to visit there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw that sounds like such a fun and beautiful place :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan