Bacon-wrapped chicken and roasted veggie pasta salad

Mmmmm dinner last night was delicious, and my wonderful sister took some pictures so that I could make up a "real" recipe blog. This is fairly easy food and always well received, so I hope you enjoy! Also, this is my first time writing it out, so it's probably pretty wordy, not nice and concise like normal recipes. Ah well.


Bacon-Wrapped Chicken

ingredients (suggested)
chicken breasts
thick bacon
herbs/spices of various assortments according to your taste
olive oil
red wine
possibly toothpicks

1. Get yourself some chickens out of the freezer. Because I am kind of bad at planning ahead, I generally marinade my chicks while they're thawing. It seems to work quite well. I used boneless & skinless this time, though there's a delightful variation if you use boneless, skin-on chicks in which you stuff the skin with herb-y cream cheese. Delish! But this is not that recipe.

2. Arrange them artfully - or not - in your glass pan, or if you don't have a glass pan, use a gallon ziploc bag. I actually prefer the baggies, but don't have any (or just couldn't find them) so I used the glass pan.

3. Put in anything you want to marinade your chickens. I used some red wine, olive oil, dried sage, dried oregano, fresh, course ground black pepper, fresh rosemary, and fresh basil. And a little bit of crushed red pepper. I don't use much of each, though there was probably a lot of basil and rosemary cause they're fresh, and I just loooove black pepper. Use at your own discretion. For oil and wine, just a little splash per chick.


4. Let the chicks defrost and marinade for however long you feel like. At some point, they will be unfrozen.

5. Take the chickens out of the marinade, fold them in half, and wrap them in delicious thick-cut bacon. This doesn't serve a whole lot of purpose except that bacon is delicious. If you need to, stab them through with toothpicks to keep them together. (I guess rolling them up is optional...you could leave them stretched out and wrap them in even more bacon. Hmmm...delicious.) If you do use toothpicks, remember they're there so you don't skewer yourself.


6. Stick your now-deliciously-wrapped chicks back in the pan (wash out the excess marinade first) and bake them at 375°-400° for about an hour.




Roast Veggie Pasta Salad

ingredients (suggested) pasta
veggies
lemon juice
herbs (see above)
olive oil
mayonnaise
cheese

1. Chop up los vegetales. I used red onion, green onion, tomatoes, red, yellow, and orange bell peppers, garlic, and some spanish olives for fun. You can use whatever you desire, those are just what I a) love and b) had on hand.



2. Put the veggies in another glass dish, pour on some olive oil and whatever herbs/spices you feel like (I used rosemary, thyme, and pepper).

3. Put them in the oven. If the chicken is still in there, fine. If not, you can broil them to make it go a little faster. I generally have them in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until they're warm and roasty.



4. Meanwhile, make the pasta. I used egg noodles, which I do not recommend. We have about 14 new or partially used boxes of spaghetti, but only half a bag of egg noodles and a smattering of spiral noodles in the bottom of a box. So, I made do.

5. While veggies are roasting and pasta is noodling, make up your sauce. I usually do about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of mayo, two 1-second splashes of olive oil, a few tablespoons of lemon juice, lots of pepper, some garlic, and more of the herbs I used in the veggies and chickens. I'm sorry these measurements are so strange, I tend not to cook from a recipe (can you tell??). Whisk together.

6. When ready, combine pasta, veggies, and sauce. Add some grated cheese (cheddar works just fine, really, you can't go wrong with any kind of cheese...) and stir it all up.


7. Serve with chickens, and you have a delicious meal.



Since I never specified exactly how much of each thing, I can't tell you how many it serves. I made 5 chicks for four of us cause Freddy's a man and eats like it. I used half a bag of pasta and had one small serving leftover. Yay for finally learning to control my portions in cooking! (I'm used to cooking for 20-40 people, limiting myself to 4 or less is HARD.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan