Bibliophiles are barely ever bored,

because if you have a book, you can break out of this world and get lost in another. It's so easy for hours to slip away silently as I roam through space and time, lost in the pages of a favorite story. I've spent most of this week in the far reaches of the universe, traveling through Anne McCaffrey's worlds once again.

There are a great many books that I can read over and over without losing interest. My library is off in storage still, but it's filled with books whose worlds are familiar from long acquaintance. I am always seeking new novels, but sometimes I go back to the old ones simply because they are comfortable, like an old friend with whom one can sit in silence. I already love the characters, and the plot is still exciting. Each time you read it again there are new nuances to discover, new subtleties you missed the first four (five, six, seven...) times.

Anne McCaffrey's books are probably the most often read on my shelves. Though she writes throughout the unknown universe, all the stories connect in some small way, and I love to find the clues that tie them all together. Dragonflight was the first I ever read, the beginning of the Pern series, and it was love at first page. I devoured the rest of the series, anxiously awaiting each new installment. When her son Todd took over I began to slack, so I have not read every dragon book out there. From Pern I went to Petaybee and Doona and to the Talents and the Linyaari and Botany and Ballybran and now I'm on Ireta (for the first time). No matter what world it is, I always manage to lose myself in the wonder of Anne McCaffrey's writing.

Much to my sorrow, she died last November, so there will be no further installments of any of her series. But she has left a literary legacy behind that continues to delight me with the new and the old, and I am quite sure that I will happily spend a great many more hours of my life traveling distant planets and cultures through her imagination.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan