Every single time

It doesn't matter what kind of mood I was in before, whether I was joyfully skipping through the day or meandering through the gloom and stress. I can be at church, in my car, or at a friend's house on the couch with a guitar. There could be a million things on my mind, but when it starts, it all fades away and my focus is changed.

There are few songs that cut to my core and leave me in tears. Many lose that potency after the first several hearings, though occasionally an emotional memory can trigger a tight throat and burning eyes. Most of them involve soldiers and death, a dramatically depressing combination.

But whenever I hear "The Stand," I always cry. I can make it most of the way through the song, but every time there comes a point when I am simply overwhelmed, and sound no longer comes out past the lump in my throat, and I stand there mutely, tears streaming down my cheeks. They are usually tears of joy; occasionally sorrow is mixed in, but it is quickly replaced with hope and thanksgiving.

To think that the God who created the world and gave it life cared enough about me, in all my wretchedness, to take my shame upon Himself and become my sin so that I might become righteous. (2 Corinthians 5:21) He forgave me, He has saved me, He loves me, what else can I do but give Him all of me? And He accepts me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan