It's All in the Timing [Part 2]

It's amazing the variety of [obnoxious] noises my kitten can make. Good grief, Charlie Brown.
But he's so gosh darn cute (even if he is a little bigger than in this picture now).

So, I wrote my blog post yesterday while still in a bit of a post-food poisoning delirium. I had this great idea for the post on Monday, fell violently ill, slept through till Tuesday, and then decided to write. Unfortunately, the inability to hold food down and the extended bouts of delirious sleep kept me from fully expressing what I had planned - and of course, I can't remember half of it now. It was going to be much more fleshed out than that. Instead, I ended up using a lot of Bible verses and not a lot of my own content. Not that I'm complaining - God says things much better than I ever can.

I was listening to one of my favorite soundtracks today (Godspell, if you're curious) and was struck by a line that reminded me of some of what else I was going to say. It's actually a Bible verse, so I suppose I'll cite the reference rather than the song.

Matthew 7:9-11 "Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!"

I think about how often I ask God for something, and I don't get it. Or I get something else. Or it feels like I get no answer at all. I get so darn frustrated sometimes!! But how many of those times am I actually asking for a snake? That sounds odd, but if you read the verse, you get it.


I do not know what is best for me.


There, I said it. That was hard.

I know what I want, but that's not the same thing. I do not possess the ability to see clearly how choices I make today will impact my tomorrow. To a certain extent, yes, I do. But God sees the whole picture and has a plan for it. The baby idea is a great example of how much I don't really see the whole picture clearly sometimes, and so God not giving me what I want right away is giving me bread instead of the stone I seem to be asking for.

"If you then, bad as you are, know how to give your children what is good for them, how much more will your Heavenly Father give good things to those that ask for them?"

It's a struggle with patience and trust - do I trust God to give me what He has planned, and am I patient enough to wait for Hist timing? Or do I trust myself more than my Creator, take everything into my own hands, and run with it? Too often, I think I choose the latter course. And just as often, things start to fall apart. It's a lesson I wish I could learn faster so I could stop causing myself heartache.

Anyhoo, I think that fills out my original intent with this post a little better. God knows better than I.

Trust and obey, for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey.

Comments

  1. love that verse! and i love the name of your car, hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good post. I think I'll have to add it to my favorites when I'm having "one of those days." Thank you for sharing Truth so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan