theory poems

Bill Watterson is taking over my mind.

I've been spending a bit too much time lately reading Calvin & Hobbes, what with finals approaching and all. Besides being a fine cartoonist, Watterson is an excellent poet. I mean, rhyming tentacles and ventricles? Genius. If you'd like to read a little more, check out these two - and I'm sure you can Google and find more.

Anyways, "A Nauseous Nocturne" has been stuck in my head for quite some time, odd as that may seem, and so I find myself beginning to compose my thoughts in alliterated rhyming meter. This goes on all throughout the day. Entertaining for me, probably puzzling for those who see me chuckling to myself.

While this may not contribute directly to passing my finals, it certainly helps me to endure classes in a much better frame of mind. In theory yesterday, for example. Having quickly grasped the idea of pattern-pulse compositions, and it being far too perfect of a day to be spent caged in class, Becca and I began scribbling verse back and forth, and ended up with this.

A lovely day, when spent in theory
becomes so quickly something dreary

to pay attention is a chore
and taking notes is such a bore

that soon I am quite weary.


I then begin to write in rhyme
and how it helps to pass the time!

My friend and I are entertained

and my good mood is thus sustained
above the 20th cent'ry theory slime.


Short, sweet, to the point - and resulting in many giggles, which is always good in class. This is my lovely friend, by the way.



I had, alas, no co-conspirator in music history, though I did have Rebekah as my pocket rhyming dictionary via text. (Shhhh...I pay attention! We studied Bright Sheng and how he makes a cello imitate an erhu. See how much I remember?) The 6-line rhyme scheme was much better developed, but as the poem was also much longer, I will not inflict it upon you here.

I do have to have one moment of bragging, though. Despite the examples here not being a match for the brilliance of Bill Watterson's poetic gift, I did manage to find a rhyme for the word Koyaanisqatsi.*






*Koyaanisqatsi is Hopi for [roughly] "life out of balance" and is the name of a Philip Glass piece that I've now studied in theory and music history. I have been a fan of very little of the music we've looked at recently, and this is an exception - I love it. Well, the first three and a half minutes anyways, just cause I love male chant, I guess. But it's cool. I haven't made it very far, so I don't know if I love all of it, but the beginning is tantalizing.

Comments

  1. Wrote this in theory once:


    THE THEORIST’S ANTHEM

    I teach music theory
    At the college down the street
    I teach a variety of notes per measure
    And which note gets the beat
    I accept corrected homework
    I believe in retrograde

    I teach basic piano
    In the parlor of my home
    I teach how to find middle C
    And its adjacent leading tone
    I won’t drop you for laziness
    I still keep getting paid

    CHORUS
    The world would be a better place
    If you would give me heed
    You’ll find a keener sense of taste
    That’s happiness in deed.
    The earth would be a sweeter sphere
    If you’ll live the way I do
    You’ll have a fine tuned critical ear

    I’ve mastered species counterpoint
    My downbeats are consonant
    I disdain sinful parallel fifths
    My harmonies are succulent
    If you ignore the rules of the game
    I’ll still come to your aid

    CHORUS

    I analyze full operas
    And pretend I’m Figaro
    I buy the unabridged orchestral score
    And play the parts on the piano
    I play it all in perfect time
    My metronome is handmade.

    CHORUS

    ReplyDelete
  2. my theory poetry has thus been put to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Latin lecture I was typing
    With my phone below the table, hiding
    All the rhymes I tried to find.
    As I understood the conjugations
    And the grammar demonstrations,
    I figured that the teacher wouldn't mind.
    I'm glad my cellphone has no keys
    To click and clack and thus betray me-z
    As I tried to find a slant for words like 'lecture'.
    I think that all my missives
    Were safely masked beneath the jessive,
    Though my success is purely all conjecture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reanimation

Day 3: My First Love

My First Menu Plan